Home > Martial Arts, Movies > Movie recommendation – In Bruges/ some updates

Movie recommendation – In Bruges/ some updates

This is a flick from a few years back that I managed to catch on cable over the weekend. Starring Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, it’s the story of a couple of hitmen who pull off a job in London and are forced to flee by their boss (Ralph Fiennes) to a town called Bruges in Belgium. It’s a comedy, but probably one of the darkest I’ve ever seen.

It’s a nice change to see Farrell using his Irish accent again in a role. He just seems more relaxed being the Irishman that he is. Gleeson is amazing and plays the multitude of emotions the decisions his character gets forced into with such power that I felt almost shattered by the end of the movie. I won’t give any of it away, but his scenes really got to me. Check it out if so inclined:

In other news, I’m testing for my brown belt this week. Translation: every night I will walk into the house a shadow of my former self from a few hours before. It’s a very intense time in all the classes. For our part (higher belt rankings), we have to test on one full Kung Fu form, one weapons form (this quarter it’s the Fan), and then something like 8 combinations in Krav Maga. It gets difficult, but also gives me a sense of accomplishment to know that I got those forms down. When it gets time for black belt testing, all of those forms will be evaluated, so you have to remember then and get them down so well that it all ends up almost muscle memory in a way. I find it challenging, and that’s why I like it so much.

School is still in session, and I have about 3 presentations plus a final before it’s all over and done with. It’s funny how it works; one class gets really hard at the beginning of the semester with lots of homework and quizzes, and the other is pretty tame. After midterms, the ambiance changes, and the laid back class suddenly involves a lot of group work, papers, and presentations, and the other one gets laid back.

So, if you’re thinking about grad school, remember this one piece of advice: get used to the idea of group presentations.

Best wishes to those who are still suffering the effects of Hurricane Sandy.

1. November 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM

This was such a good movie, Ralph Fiennes was hilarious; also good luck with school!!

• Jen
      November 5, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Aww thanks πŸ™‚ Yeah, he was pretty funny with his Cockney accent going on.

2. November 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I don’t know if you’ve seen trailers for Seven Psychopaths but I like that Farrell is using his accent in that too! I think it’s more realistic to have people with difference accents rather than just one that’s common between the characters in a film. I know that for me personally there would be a wide variety of accents between my friends so it just seems so much more relate able πŸ™‚

• Jen
      November 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I have seen the trailers. It looks to be an interesting caper πŸ™‚ The dog is really cute, too. It’s nice to see Farrell doing move movies. He really is a versatile actor.

It’s like Ewan McGregor, who rarely uses his natural Scottish accent. He sounds so relaxed and awesome when he’s allowed to be full on Scot. Sure sure, he’s a great Ben Kenobi, but he’s an even better Mark Renton πŸ˜€

3. November 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Precisely! It makes it more believable. Though I think the big no no’s for accents are easily Tom Cruise in Far and Away and the entire cast (particularly the extras) for Alexander. Abomination. Though on the topic of Ewan McGregor, please tell me you’ve seen Big Fish? Amazing film.

• Jen
      November 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I have indeed seen Big Fish. It’s such a great movie, and one of the few that I have seen that has the capability to reduce grown men to tears, in the vein of Brian’s Song. Amazing how that works. One of Burton’s best, absolutely.

4. November 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM

It really is, it’s so uplifting and the soundtrack is great! I have to say I’m a sucker for A Patch of Blue, that gets me everytime. Such a good film.

1. No trackbacks yet.